“Information for Persons Considering Bankruptcy”, February 24, 1995
This Bankruptcy handbook was prepared by the Office of the Clerk, United States Bankruptcy Court, Easten District of California. It is reproduced here with the permission of the Clerks Office. It is a very long document, but has a lot of very useful information concerning bankruptcy basics.
Table of Contents:
- What is bankruptcy?
- Who can start a bankruptcy?
- What is a joint petition?
- What are the different “chapters” in bankruptcy?
- What chapter is right for me?
- Where can i get more information concerning bankruptcy and bankruptcy procedure? is there any place i can get free or low cost legal advice before i file?
- What services can a bankruptcy petition preparer provide?
- Can the clerk’s office give legal advice?
- What does the clerk’s office do?
- What documents do i need to start a bankruptcy?
- How do i know if a debt is secured, unsecured, priority or administrative so i can fill out my schedules correctly?
- What are exemptions?
- Where do i file my bankruptcy case?
- How do i “file” a document with the court?
- How much are the court fees to file a bankruptcy?
- What happens after i file bankruptcy?
- What is a bankruptcy trustee? who is the united states trustee? what is the difference ?
- What is the creditor’s meeting? what can i expect will happen at it?
- What is a discharge?
- What debts are dischargeable?
- What is the difference between a denial of discharge and a debt being non-dischargeable?
- What does it mean if a case is dismissed?
- What is a reaffirmation agreement?
- What is redemption?
- What are claims and claims objections? how are claims filed ?
- What can i do if a creditor keeps trying to collect money after i have filed bankruptcy?
- How do i change or correct information in the petition, schedules and statement i already filed with the clerk’s office?
- What should i do if i cannot make my chapter 13 payment ?
- My ex-spouse has filed bankruptcy. he/she has listed me as a co-signer on a scheduled debt. what can i do? does my divorce decree protect me?
- How many years will a bankruptcy show on my credit report? how long will it take before i can get credit?
- How can i get information about a case?
More Information About Bankruptcy:
Call Now For A Case Evaluation
(530) 317-5556 | (209) 881-9222